Education in Gush Etzion Reflects Children’s Individual Needs and Region’s Unique History
Today’s students are tomorrow’s Israeli leaders
. With the necessary funding we can provide quality education in a creative environment. Therefore, donations for this vital addition to our Region are a direct investment in Israel’s future. Donor recognition will be given for funding assistance
Gush Etzion is known throughout Israel for its high standard of education. At the same time, the schools of Gush Etzion are a shining example of integration between immigrants and veterans, religious and secular, and Ashkenazi and Sephardi.
A new, ultra-modern religious elementary school designed to accommodate some 650 students from the Gush Etzion region opened its doors. This educational institution is a contemporary pedagogic and architectural initiative.
Especially in light of the current situation, where psychological and emotional needs have increased, the school has been designed to cater to children’s individual requirements. Recognizing that every child possesses a divine spark that must be nourished, the 18-classroom school also includes individual learning spaces. Learning centers will provide innumerable opportunities for self-enrichment and fulfillment. Children will be able to learn more on their own about art, math, music, computers and a myriad of other subjects. The entire facility fosters an environment that encourages individual expression and exploration.
Planned by the internationally renowned architects David Nofar and Louis Karol, the school’s architecture takes into account the special climate of the region and exquisitely reflects the ancient Herodian – Herod’s Place – situated but 12 kilometers and in clear view from the site. The overall master plan for the regional center calls for transforming the entire area into a smart learning-recreation facility including safer traffic control and enhanced recreational facilities.
Phase one of the school welcomed grades one through three into 6 classrooms as well as the administration wing. Funding is still required to complete phases two and three: to integrate grades four through six into the additional 12 classrooms, to complete the special facility wings and pedagogical center, and to incorporate a playground, basketball court, gymnasium, computer center and a shared Beit Midrash study area.
Gush Etzion has always been part of the national consensus, and this newest elementary school joins a long list of the Gush Etzion Regional Councils’ educational efforts for the region’s 20,000 plus residents. Two ultra orthodox schools are located in Eastern Gush Etzion to serve the students of Ma`aleh Amos and Metzad, and a unique integrated school in Tekoa which caters to both secular and observant students. In total there are 5 religious element
ary schools, one religiously integrated elementary school, 4 high schools, 2 hesder yeshivas (combining religious study with army service), 2 pre-military academies, a teachers’ seminary, a rabbinical seminary and a women’s Torah College.
Spanning the entire spectrum of religious and pedagogic approaches, the Council is also responsible for 14 community day-care centers and 35 kindergartens. Afternoon programs exist in many communities which includes nutritional hot lunches to help the underprivileged and provide extra assistance with school work for students coming from families where this support is not feasible.
In order to make quality education available to all of its children, the Gush Etzion Regional Council allocates a large portion of its annual budget for education.
With this funding, the Education Department
- Provides classes and subjects that are not covered by the Ministry of Education budget, including extra hours of learning, advanced Torah studies, special math groups, art, music and remedial services.
- Makes activities in art, science and communications available to kindergartens throughout the region and maintains a Pedagogical Resource Center for teachers of young children.
- Oversees all psychological services for children in the region, and is a partner in the Gush Etzion Child Development Center, which provides diagnostic evaluations, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and related services.
- Maintains and improves the region`s educational facilities, overseeing the construction and renovation of school buildings and furnishing them with computers, video equipment, laboratory requirements and other essentials.
- Organizes daily school bus service for 1500 children, arranges free public transportation for other children and provides transportation for children with special needs and education workers across the region.
Several of Gush Etzion`s schools have been awarded national prizes for their high level of academic performance and scholastic excellence. Today`s students are tomorrow`s Israeli leaders. Please help us provide for their education during thes challenging times. This donation will be a direct investment in Israel`s future!